Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redfin balances location awareness and privacy with iBeacon deployment  (Read 357 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 30, 2016, 04:05:12 pm »

Redfin balances location awareness and privacy with iBeacon deployment

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
A colleague tweeted at me the other day: Why would the Redfin app produce a dialog on his iPhone that read “Location Accuracy: Turning on Bluetooth will improve location accuracy”? Redfin is both an real-estate broker and an enabler of property sales by an owner, but I’d never seen this message before. I was stumped. Colleagues of my friend, however, figured out it was Redfin’s use of iBeacon, Apple’s technology for Bluetooth-based local-information markers.</p><p>
Apple uses Bluetooth as one of several markers to pinpoint location. GPS may be primary, when a clean signal can be acquired, but cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth can provide more granularity. Every cell tower’s location is fixed and typically has a known, highly precise set of coordinates available. Wi-Fi signals get gathered through all of our collective use of iOS devices taking snapshots of Wi-Fi network names and relative signal strength around us. Wi-Fi networks generally remain fixed over periods of time. (Have you ever moved, set up your Apple base station in a different time zone, and seen your iPhone acquire the wrong local time? That’s why.)</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3045447/bluetooth/redfin-balances-location-awareness-and-privacy-with-ibeacon-deployment.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Redfin balances location awareness and privacy with iBeacon deployment
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: