Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best soundbars to boost your TV audio in 2024  (Read 61 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 21, 2024, 04:05:09 pm »

The best soundbars to boost your TV audio in 2024

<p>The built-in speakers in most TVs aren’t enough to fill your living room with immersive sound that adequately showcases the finer details of movies and TV shows. Thankfully, you don't have to splurge for a five-speaker (or more) <a data-i13n="cpos:1;pos:1" href="https://www.engadget.com/how-to-build-a-budget-home-theater-setup-140010399.html">surround-sound system[/url] to improve your audio experience. In most cases, a single soundbar and maybe a subwoofer can often drastically improve the quality of Dolby Atmos content. To assist with your home theater shopping, I’ve compiled a list of the best soundbars in premium, mid-range and budget price ranges, along with a summary of what sets them apart from the competition. Just know going in that the more you pay, the more you’re going to get — both in terms of features and performance.</p>
<h2 id="jump-link-what-to-look-for-in-a-soundbar">What to look for in a soundbar</h2>
<h3 id="jump-link-features">Features</h3>
<p>When it comes to features, the more you pay the more you're going to get. Most affordable options ($150 or less) will improve your television's audio quality, but that's about it. Step into the $300 to $400 range and you'll find a smart soundbar with things like built-in voice control, wireless connectivity, Google Chromecast, AirPlay 2 and even Android TV. They're all helpful when you want to avoid looking for the remote control, but the best sound quality is usually only in the top tier and the formats those premium soundbar systems support. I’m talking about things like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and other high-resolution audio standards. These are what you'll want to look for if truly immersive sound is what you crave for your living room setup. And not all Atmos soundbars are equal, so you'll need to look at the finer details carefully before you break into the savings account.</p>
<span id="end-legacy-contents"></span><h3 id="jump-link-ports">Ports</h3>
<figure>Sony HT-A7000 soundbar, SA-SW5 subwoofer, SA-SW3 subwoofer and SA-RS3S speakers." data-uuid="4d78f54e-b598-3968-97ac-1591e4a399d1<figcaption></figcaption><div class="photo-credit">Sony</div></figure>
<p>This is a big one. A lot of the more affordable soundbars are limited when it comes to connectivity options. They either offer an optical port or one HDMI jack and, if you're lucky, both. Things get slightly better in the mid-range section, but that's not always the case. The Sonos Beam, for example, is $449, but only has a single HDMI port. If you want to connect your set-top box, gaming console and more directly to your soundbar for the best possible audio, you'll likely want to look for an option with at least two HDMI (eARC) inputs. HDMI connections are essential for things like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and other high-res and immersive audio formats. And with<a data-i13n="cpos:2;pos:1" href="https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1"> the HDMI 2.1 spec[/url], soundbars can support HDR, 8K and 4K/120 passthrough to make these speaker systems an even better companion for a game console.</p>
<h3 id="jump-link-channels">Channels</h3>
<p>Another big thing you’ll want to pay attention to when looking for the best soundbar is channels. That’s the 2.1, 7.1.2 or other decimal number that companies include in product descriptions. The first figure corresponds to the number of channels. A two would just be left and right while a more robust Atmos system, especially one with rear satellite speakers, could be five or seven (left, right, center and upward). The second number refers to the subwoofer, so if your new soundbar comes with one or has them built in, you’ll see a one here. The third numeral is up-firing speakers, important for the immersive effect of Dolby Atmos. Not all Atmos-enabled units have them, but if they do, the third number will tell you how many are in play.</p>
<h3 id="jump-link-wireless">Wireless</h3>
<figure>Sony HT-A7000 soundbar, SA-SW5 subwoofer, SA-SW3 subwoofer and SA-RS3S speakers." data-uuid="30500ddb-6693-306b-b67b-4d2c1f1c0eda<figcaption></figcaption><div class="photo-credit">Sony</div></figure>
<p>Most soundbars these days offer either Bluetooth, WiFi or both. When it comes to WiFi, that connectivity affords you luxuries like voice control (either built-in or with a separate device), Chromecast, Spotify Connect and AirPlay 2. Depending on your preferences, you might be able to live without some of these. For me, AirPlay 2 and Chromecast are essentials, but the rest I can live without. Those two give me the ability to beam music and podcasts from my go-to apps without having to settle for — or struggle with — a Bluetooth connection.</p>
<h3 id="jump-link-size">Size</h3>
<p>This one might seem obvious but humor me for a minute. Nothing is more soul-crushing than getting a pricey soundbar in your living room only to discover you have to rearrange everything to find a spot for it. This was my plight when the<a data-i13n="cpos:3;pos:1;elm:affiliate_link;sellerN:Amazon;elmt:" href="https://shopping.yahoo.com/rdlw?merchantId=66ea567a-c987-4c2e-a2ff-02904efde6ea&amp;siteId=us-engadget&amp;pageId=1p-autolink&amp;featureId=text-link&amp;merchantName=Amazon&amp;custData=eyJzb3VyY2VOYW1lIjoiV2ViLURlc2t0b3AtVmVyaXpvbiIsInN0b3JlSWQiOiI2NmVhNTY3YS1jOTg3LTRjMmUtYTJmZi0wMjkwNGVmZGU2ZWEiLCJsYW5kaW5nVXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYW1hem9uLmNvbS9TZW5uaGVpc2VyLUFNQkVPLVNvdW5kYmFyLTUtMS00LUNoYW5uZWwvZHAvQjA4Sjk5UjhXSj90YWc9Z2RndDBjLXAtby1jaS0yMCIsImNvbnRlbnRVdWlkIjoiZTBhOTBkN2YtODQ5ZS00NGYwLWJjNGQtODY3MmM4M2QwMDZkIn0&amp;signature=AQAAAdSXCtH3GZlqKOEeTxYF-ucIgg9x4QArao7UtuglYKcD&amp;gcReferrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSennheiser-AMBEO-Soundbar-5-1-4-Channel%2Fdp%2FB08J99R8WJ%3F"> Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar[/url] arrived at my door. Yes, that speaker is absurdly large (and heavy), and most soundbars aren't nearly as big. I learned a valuable lesson: Make sure the space where you want to put a soundbar will accommodate the thing you're about to spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on.</p>
<p>Basically, it all comes down to the TV you have (or are planning to get) and what the primary goal is for your living-room audio. Is it ease of use? Do you want the best possible sound from a single speaker or speaker/sub combo? Do you just want to be able to actually hear your TV better? Or do you want to turn your living room into an immersive home theater system with surround sound?</p>
<p>By paying attention to each of those areas, you should have a good idea of what to look for in a soundbar, soundbar/subwoofer combo or a more robust setup. With that said, we've put numerous products through their paces at Engadget and have a few favorites for best soundbar at various price points to get you started.</p>
<h2 id="jump-link-the-best-soundbars-for-2024">The best soundbars for 2024</h2>
<p><core-commerce id="98f57ca6a5184c0ea42c890d064c73c0" data-type="product-list"></p>
<p><core-commerce id="1832539862574bad8149f635a1061705" data-type="product-list"></p>
<p><core-commerce id="4776a18dd94b463490890e37b2ffe560" data-type="product-list"></p>
<p><core-commerce id="86423fe5dea14c6b81480cc61ceb1d36" data-type="product-list"></p>
<p><core-commerce id="000ad92ac433498abca0f4db46ba135d" data-type="product-list"></p>
<p><core-commerce id="5200044e80534d1d824a385b29989912" data-type="product-list"></p>
<p id="jump-link-best-midrange-soundbar-sonos-beam"></p>This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/best-soundbars-143041791.html?src=rss

Source: The best soundbars to boost your TV audio in 2024
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: