Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now you see it: How Apple's Retina display is a boon to accessibility  (Read 377 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »

Now you see it: How Apple's Retina display is a boon to accessibility

iOS’s accessibility features are great, particularly on the iPad—as I’ve written elsewhere—but for disabled users, accessibility is more than just a niche set of options in the Settings app.

But perhaps the greatest accessibility feature is the most obvious part of a smartphone: the screen. As a visually impaired user, my effective use of these devices depends on the quality and brightness of the screen. In order for me to achieve optimal use—especially on the iPhone, the device I use the most—I’ve found that I really need a Retina display set to maximum brightness.

Pixel perfect

My eyesight is such that I see “pixels” naturally, meaning that everything I see is fuzzy. While no Retina display will ever be able to completely eliminate that fuzziness, such displays can drastically reduce it.

I used both the orignal iPhone and original iPad with great success with their displays set to full brightness, but seeing my iPhone 4’s Retina screen was a total game-changer (in some cases, literally). It was the combination of the big, bright LED-backlit display with the high pixel density that made all the difference. Suddenly, even the smallest text was readable, and I was able to spot details in images that were previously indistinguishable.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2038890/now-you-see-it-how-apples-retina-display-is-a-boon-to-accessibility.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: