Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Gems: Should I Sleep puts your Mac into a proper sleep routine  (Read 371 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 24, 2013, 11:01:35 pm »

Mac Gems: Should I Sleep puts your Mac into a proper sleep routine

Editor’s note: The following review is part of Macworld’s GemFest 2013. Every day (except Sunday) from mid-July until late September, the Macworld staff will use the Mac Gems blog to briefly cover a standout free or low-cost program. You can view a list of this year’s apps, updated daily, on our handy GemFest page, and you can visit the Mac Gems homepage for past Mac Gems reviews.

The inconvenient truth is that, while saving energy on your Mac by automatically dimming its screen or even sleeping the CPU is good and all, it can sometimes be a pain in the neck. When you’re giving a presentation, for example. Or when you’re watching a gripping YouTube video and the screen goes dark because you haven’t touched your mouse in half an hour.

It’s a problem that several Mac utilities attempt to solve, most notably Caffeine. But none of them go to the same lengths in that quest as Should I Sleep.

As you know, you can go to the Energy Saver preference pane and specify times after which you want your display and/or CPU to go to sleep. (That’s obviously of importance primarily when you’re running a laptop on a battery.) Caffeine and others of its ilk temporarily suspend those settings, so your screen won’t go black before that movie you’re watching is done.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2044786/mac-gems-should-i-sleep-puts-your-mac-into-a-proper-sleep-routine.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: