Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friends don't let friends delete shared Dropbox items  (Read 337 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 09, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »

Friends don't let friends delete shared Dropbox items

Reader Paul Cramblett has a problem with others who just don’t know how to share. He writes:

I maintain a Dropbox folder that I use to share files with a select group of friends. I've tried to explain how Dropbox works to these people but someone invariably drags all the files out of the folder, which means they’re no longer available to the rest of us. Is there some way to prevent files from being removed by someone who doesn’t understand the difference between “copy” and “move”?

I sympathize. Dropbox is a great way to share files but far too many people don’t understand that when you drag files out of a shared folder, they’re removed from that folder for everyone who has a stake in it. I can offer a couple of ideas—one social and the other technical.

The social idea is to issue yet one reminder to those sharing the folder that they must copy the files, not move them. I tell Mac users to select the files they want and, while dragging the files to another location on their Mac, hold down the Option key. This makes a copy of the files. For Windows users, hold down the Control key and drag.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2048361/friends-dont-let-friends-delete-shared-dropbox-items.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: