Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PhotoReviewer review: Quick and easy image triage  (Read 344 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 12, 2013, 03:01:15 am »

PhotoReviewer review: Quick and easy image triage

Way back in 2004, I reviewed PhotoReviewer 1.4, which quickly became my favorite way to “triage” the flood of photos from my digital camera. As I explained back then:

Although the ability to take unlimited photos gives aspiring photographers the freedom to make sure they get the best shot, it also has a drawback: At some point you have to weed through those 24 photos of Uncle Bob’s embarassing softball swing at the family reunion, and the 63 pictures of your niece’s first recital, in order to find the three or four worth keeping.

My complaint at the time was that while iPhoto is a decent app for managing the photos you want, it’s a poor solution for going through your photos and deciding which are worth keeping—and, thus, importing into iPhoto in the first place. Of course you can import everything into iPhoto and then delete what you don’t want, but it’s a slow process, and iPhoto just isn’t optimized for the task. What I really wanted was an easy—and fast—way to review photos before they ever got near iPhoto.

PhotoReviewer was the best solution I found, and it was pretty great for this particular task. Unfortunately, development of PhotoReviewer ceased, and somewhere around OS X 10.5, the app started having problems for those running the latest version of OS X. I never found a great replacement. (A common suggestion from photographer friends was Photo Mechanic, but at $150, it’s not really an option for casual users.)
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2053944/photoreviewer-review-quick-and-easy-image-triage.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: