Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epson Expression Premium XP-810 Small-in-One review: Do-it-all printer offers best photo quality for the price  (Read 339 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 12, 2013, 03:01:17 am »

Epson Expression Premium XP-810 Small-in-One review: Do-it-all printer offers best photo quality for the price

The Epson Expression XP-810 Small-in-One Printer could make almost anyone happy. It has an impressively deep list of features for a home printer and is also one of the best all-around performers in it price range.

Here’s the big catch: ink costs. This is officially a $230 printer (as of 11/8/2013)—though you should be able to shop around for a better price, and Epson is currently discounting it on its own site. However, if I’m spending that much, I expect to be repaid with lower ink prices. Instead the costs are a little higher than average: 4.6 or 5.2 cents per page (cpp) for black, and 13.4 or 18.2 cpp for a four-color page, using the high-capacity or standard-size cartridges, respectively.

I had the same complaint about ink costs recently with a close competitor of this model, the Canon Pixma MG7120. Not a good trend! The best overall deal in this price range currently is the HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One, whose inks are refreshingly affordable.

The only compensation for the ink costs is the print quality, which is some of the best you’ll experience with a consumer-level inkjet. The Expression XP-810 has both pigment- and dye-based blacks as well as cyan, magenta, and yellow. The pigment-based black helps it create crisp-looking text even on plain paper. Meanwhile, the dye-based black helps it create a nice sense of depth in photos. We’ve always liked the bright, lively palette of Epson-printed photos anyway, and the Expression XP-810 sticks with that tradition. Photos printed on plain paper can look a little pinkish, but they look spectacular on Epson’s own photo paper.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2048270/epson-expression-premium-xp-810-small-in-one-review-do-it-all-printer-offers-best-photo-quality-for.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: