Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket 5.0's dynamic story prioritization feature is a real Highlight  (Read 349 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 14, 2013, 07:01:09 pm »

Pocket 5.0's dynamic story prioritization feature is a real Highlight

Popular read-it-later service Pocket launched version 5.0 this week, introducing a new feature aimed at making it easier than ever to find and read saved articles in your queue. Dubbed Highlights, this feature adds dynamic category tags based on the story type, such as Long or Quick Reads, Best Of, Trending, Videos, or interests you’ve already marked in Pocket’s settings.

“Pocket is a revolutionary place to view, share, and now rediscover the things that matter to you,” said Pocket's CEO Nate Weiner during a Wednesday launch event in San Francisco. Pocket 5.0 is available now for iOS devices, with the Android version to arrive November 20.

Highlights are found above your list in the left-hand navigation bar.

When your Pocket list gets too deep, a lot of content gets buried—so much so that stories never again make it to your devices’ screen. Weiner says that only about 5 percent of items below the No. 30 spot in a typical Pocket list gets opened. Version 5.0’s Highlights feature aims to fix that by prioritizing stories for you and helping you find just the right article to read.

My stories were automatically sorted by Best Of, Long Reads, and Quick Reads.

I’ve been using Highlights since this week’s launch, and I find it to be a really useful addition to an already smooth reading platform. While I’m on the bus, I tackle stories from my Quick Reads or Trending lists on my iPhone, saving stories from my Long Reads and Best Ofs for reading on my Mac or iPad in the evening when I’m less pressed for time. The Highlights categories appear at the top of your list in the left-hand column, and the most recommended story from each Highlight has a large, splashy image to show it off. When you’ve finished reading a piece, you can still mark it as complete or as a favorite, which moves that article off of your main list and into a Favorites or Archives folder.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2063385/pocket-5-0s-dynamic-story-prioritization-feature-is-a-real-highlight.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: