Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hands-on: First impressions of the iPhone 5s  (Read 374 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 21, 2013, 11:01:31 am »

Hands-on: First impressions of the iPhone 5s

The iPhone advances in ticks and tocks, new designs alternating with more subtle advancements. I haven’t decided whether the iPhone 5s is a tick or a tock. It most definitely looks like last year’s model but there is also most definitely more to it than meets the eye. (And besides, which one is tick and which one is tock?)

I’ve just gotten my hands on the iPhone 5s, and will be spending the weekend with it as I prepare my review. Now, based on a bit more time than I spent with one in a crowded room last week, here are some of my first impressions of Apple’s new top-of-the-line iPhone.

All that glitters

Image: Robert CardinBehold the gold.

I’ve been carrying an iPhone 5 in my pocket for the last year, and the iPhone 5s feels exactly the same. Same curved edges, same dimensions, same everything. All cases and accessories for the iPhone 5 should fit without a problem, because it really is the same form factor. Only the updated home button and the flash give away that this is not an iPhone 5.

Well, and the color. My beloved Darth Vader iPhone (slate and black) has been displaced by a slightly less aggressive gray, but for my review unit I opted for the gold model. It’s very attractive. I don’t get the silly backlash I’ve heard against gold iPhones in general—were people expecting some sort of gaudy monstrosity from Apple? If so, that was silly. This is a gold finish that’s very much the counterpart of the silvery aluminum finish on last year’s white iPhone 5. Some people like gold and some like silver, and that’s fine, but the gold iPhone is not a bad look at all. I'd personally still prefer a darker one, but I wouldn’t be embarrassed at all by a gold iPhone.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049062/hands-on-first-impressions-of-the-iphone-5s.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: