Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tim Cook at D11: Wearables Are Incredibly Interesting, Nothing Great on the Market  (Read 400 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:35 am »

Tim Cook at D11: Wearables Are Incredibly Interesting, Nothing Great on the Market

At this year’s annual All Things Digital conference hosted by AllThingsD, Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher asked Apple CEO Tim Cook about wearable devices, such as Apple’s much rumored smart watch, which has been dubbed the “iWatch.”   Tim Cook mentioned that he found wearables to be "incredibly interesting" and went on to say that it could be a "profound area." Cook himself is equipped with a Nike Fuelband, but believes that there’s nothing "great" on the market, and that wearables are an area “ripe for exploration.”   The Pebble smart watch  Of course, when pressed on whether Apple will be developing a wearable device, Cook declined to answer, though he did hint that it was an important area of potential development, and that while both glasses and watches had drawbacks, the wrist was "natural."There are lots of wearables, but of the ones doing more than one thing, I haven’t seen anything great out there. Nothing that will convince a kid that’s never worn glasses or a band to wear one. Or I haven’t seen it…so lots of things to solve here. The area is ripe for exploration, and it’s ripe for us to get excited about. Lots of companies will be in this space.   I’m interested in a great product. I wear glasses because I have to. People generally want glasses to reflect their fashion, style, etc. So this is difficult from a mainstream point of view. I think the wrist is natural. I think there are other things in this space that could be interesting. Sensors are exploding. It will become clearer over time.With the growing popularity of smart watches like the Pebble, the Jawbone UP, and the Nike Fuelband, rumors about Apple’s own smart watch have ramped up in recent months. Most recently, reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that Apple’s rumored iWatch will debut in the second half of 2014.   The watch, which will integrate with Apple’s existing mobile lineup, is expected to feature a 1.5–2.0 inch display. The New York Times has suggested that Apple is experimenting with curved glass, and according to a February report from Bloomberg, Apple has a team of 100 product designers working on the smart watch.   MacRumors has a full transcript of the interview with more of Tim Cook’s comments on the iWatch.   Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories • Google+ for iOS Updated with Auto Enhance, Interactive Google Offers • Olloclip Creates Photo App to Complement Its 3-in-1 Lens Accessory • Upcoming Real Racing 3 Update to Add Dubai Autodrome • Sketchy Rumor Claims Apple Launching 12.9-Inch 'iPad Maxi' in Early 2014 to Target Ultrabooks • EU Regulators Questioning Carriers Over Apple's iPhone Contract Demands • OS X 10.8.4 Build 12E55 Seeded to Developers • Automatic Connected Car System Delayed Until August • Best Buy to Discount iPhone by $50 Beginning Sunday    

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/28/tim-cook-at-d11-wearables-are-incredibly-interesting-nothing-great-on-the-market/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: