Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Doo brings powerful and easy document search to OS X  (Read 428 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Review: Doo brings powerful and easy document search to OS X

In many ways, computer filesystems are relics of days gone by. Documents get lost, misplaced, and disappear seemingly without a trace. To further complicate things, almost everyone nowadays uses multiple devices, which forces us to play an even more complicated game of "Where did I put that file?"

Doo (Mac App Store link), developed by the German company of the same name, aims to address this problem. Doo aggregates all your documents regardless of where they come from and are stored, and analyzes them to create a database of interesting features that can later be searched and synchronized among multiple devices.

Installation

At this time, Doo supports both OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8. On its website, the company also states that versions for Android and iOS are coming soon, although no specific timeframe is given.

Installation was easy once past the initial difficulties caused by my unusual hardware setup.

Installing Doo on my Macs was, by far, the most frustrating part of using the app. This was due to the fact that almost all my machines contain multiple hard drives, and that my home directory is in a non-standard location—both conditions that Doo doesn’t handle very well out of the box. Luckily, the company addressed this shortcoming in version 1.0.5, which is currently available as a free beta on the Doo website. (Doo currenlty does not support external storage devices.)
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2030128/review-doo-brings-powerful-and-easy-document-search-to-os-x.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: