Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The DIRECTV iPad app in depth  (Read 377 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 05, 2013, 03:00:30 am »

The DIRECTV iPad app in depth

The DIRECTV iPad App, a free app that we briefly wrote about when it was first released, is one of the best, most complete iPad apps I've used. If you are one of the 160,000 DIRECTV customers with a Wi-Fi connection to an HR20, HR21, R22, R23, HR24, H21, H23, H24 or H25 model receiver (or multiples of these for that matter), download the app before reading any further. Those with other models can't set a recording, but can browse the program guide. This app is almost perfect with only a few minor caveats, which I'll get to later. In function, it does all that the free iPhone app does (like searching for shows) and much more. I don't have a 3G iPad, so my testing was Wi-Fi only.

When you first run it, it will find all of your connected receivers. If it fails, you'll need to execute the following steps on your remote control: Menu button > Parental Fav's and Setup > System Setup > Whole Home > External Devices > Allow. To confirm that you've done it correctly, touch the little gear in the upper right corner to produce a screen that looks something like this:

This screen not only lists your DVRs, but it also gives you a great deal of control over how the app will operate. I suggest that you check out every option before you really start playing with the app. Tap the little arrow on the right, and you'll find out if your receiver has an IP address and can be used with the app without using a wired or wireless Wi-Fi connection. In my house, I have connections to Theater 1 and Theater 2, and checking each with the arrow tells me my IP address and that control is enabled. All the rest show no IP address and can eventually be used if I connect them to Wi-Fi. At the bottom left of the screen, you can see your enabled receivers as well as which one is controlling your TV, marked with a check, as seen on the next page.Continue reading The DIRECTV iPad app in depthThe DIRECTV iPad app in depth originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:30:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/28/the-directv-ipad-app-in-depth/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: