Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes, Animoji uses the TrueDepth camera system on iPhone X  (Read 541 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 16, 2017, 04:05:18 pm »

Yes, Animoji uses the TrueDepth camera system on iPhone X

Animoji uses the IR system on the iPhone X TrueDepth camera system to periodically update a depth map but it uses the RGB camera constantly to track and match facial movement and expressions.

Back before iPhone X was released I had a chance to talk with Apple about it and one of the questions I asked was how Animoji — the incredibly cute animated emoji system built into iMessages — worked. The answer I got was that the TrueDepth camera system captures a crude depth mask with the IR system and then, in part using the Neural Engine Block on the A11 Bionic processor, persistently tracks and matches facial movement and expressions with the RGB camera.

I didn't think much else about it at the time because that answer not only fit exactly with the public documentation available to date on ARKit, the augmented reality — and, with iPhone X, facial tracking and expression matching — framework Apple provides to developers, but it fit my observations of the light requi...

Source: Yes, Animoji uses the TrueDepth camera system on iPhone X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: