Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forget Philips Hue: NanoLeaf's Aurora made me love smart lighting  (Read 293 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 06, 2017, 04:05:21 pm »

Forget Philips Hue: NanoLeaf's Aurora made me love smart lighting

My Hue bulbs are cool and all, but the Aurora kit makes smart lighting into art.

Over the past few years, I've become accustomed to all manner of strange home automation pitches: intelligent toasters, lights that double as speakers — if you can dream it, chances are I've gotten an email about it.

When I heard about Nanoleaf's Aurora smart LED lighting panels, my initial instinct was to put them in the "intelligent toaster" camp — cool, but why would anyone actually ever buy them?

Once I saw them in person, the answer became very quickly clear: because they are not just "oh, that's a fun idea" cool. They are cool. They are the type of object you can mount anywhere in a room and instantly have a 10-minute conversation about them. In short, the Aurora is a piece of art. In fact, it may be the first mainstream HomeKit-powered art installation.

Now, before the artists on the internet rise up in outrage, I will freely admit that there's a difference between buying a ...

Source: Forget Philips Hue: NanoLeaf's Aurora made me love smart lighting
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: