Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FileVault 2 encrypts your whole Mac, and Disk Utility can encrypt parts  (Read 310 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: February 13, 2015, 09:00:18 pm »

FileVault 2 encrypts your whole Mac, and Disk Utility can encrypt parts

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
In last week’s column, I explained the use and benefit (and some of the drawbacks) of turning on full-disk encryption (FDE) with Apple’s built-in FileVault 2.</p><p>
Readers had a few questions—I answered some in the article’s comments section, and I’ll expand here too. Then I’ll provide a longer explanation of encrypting individual files, not entire drives.</p><h2>FileVault 2 clarifications</h2>
<p>
FileVault 2 encrypts data at the hard drive level. Programs that run on your Mac see the data as if it has no encryption. This lets you back up drives while you’re logged in, even if the system is locked. But the files copied to Dropbox, an online backup service, a local drive, or a Time Machine destination are unencrypted, although you can layer encryption on all of those options.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2883401/filevault-2-encrypts-your-whole-mac-and-disk-utility-can-encrypt-parts.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: FileVault 2 encrypts your whole Mac, and Disk Utility can encrypt parts
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: