Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Think Retro: How the march of technology makes us forgetful  (Read 418 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:12 am »

Think Retro: How the march of technology makes us forgetful

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>Using and writing about vintage technology, I am often reminded that much of the business of using a computer is meta, that much of what we do with computers aren’t the creative tasks we buy them for, but rather they’re metatasks, menial chores we do for and to the computer so it lets us do the fun and productive stuff. I am reminded of this because I find I’ve forgotten how to do the damned things.</p><p>The skills we acquire in the process of ministering to these machines may be vital at the time, but they fade from our repertoire as technology itself changes. We don’t really notice it happening because it happens so gradually, but since this column regularly catapults me back through time, I’m forced to realize that muscle memory which once seemed completely hardwired has atrophied through misuse.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2948138/software-utilities/think-retro-how-the-march-of-technology-makes-us-forgetful.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Think Retro: How the march of technology makes us forgetful
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: