Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The increasingly long lives of old Macs  (Read 295 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: August 17, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »

The increasingly long lives of old Macs

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
The other day, my father asked me a question about his laptop. I marveled as he handed it over: a 2008 aluminum MacBook (the bizarre one-off model that lacked a FireWire port). Even after seven years, this hunk of metal and glass was going strong. Sure, I put in a new battery and replaced the hard drive with a solid state model, but the bulk of the machine is unchanged, and it reminded me of something that I don’t think Apple gets enough credit for: product longevity.</p><h2>If it ain’t broke</h2>
<p>
It’s an old chestnut in the Mac community that Apple’s computers have longer lifespans than Windows PCs, but in recent years, it’s become even more apparent that Apple wants to keep its products sustainable in the long run. If you look at the system requirements for the upcoming OS X El Capitan, for example, you’ll see that it’ll run on computers as old as a mid–2007 iMac. More to the point, you’ll notice that those requirements are unchanged from its predecessor, Yosemite. Which were unchanged from its predecessor, Mavericks. And from its predecessor, Mountain Lion. And so on. In truth, Apple’s base requirements for OS X haven’t much changed in at least five years.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2971085/macbooks/the-increasingly-long-lives-of-old-macs.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: The increasingly long lives of old Macs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: