Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The FCC wants to blow up the cable box. Here's what its proposal will (and won’t) do  (Read 388 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: February 28, 2016, 09:00:16 am »

The FCC wants to blow up the cable box. Here's what its proposal will (and won’t) do

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
<span style="line-height: 1.75em;">Last week, the Federal Communications Commission suggested that the cable box business is broken, and it offered a plan to fix it.</span></p><p>
<span style="line-height: 1.75em;">Under the FCC’s proposal, TV operators would have to supply their video to any device using open standards. Instead of leasing expensive boxes from the cable company, subscribers would be able to purchase alternatives, possibly from electronics brands such as Apple or Google. Those boxes could be cheaper and have better interfaces than what cable, satellite, and telco providers offer today.</span></p><p>
Delightful as the FCC’s proposal sounds, it also has also created a fair amount of confusion. Not everyone seems to understand what the proposal will accomplish, and I’ve come up with my own lingering questions since reading the initial coverage last week, so I started asking around and gathering more information.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3036829/streaming-hardware/the-fcc-wants-to-blow-up-the-cable-box-heres-what-its-proposal-will-and-wont-do.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: The FCC wants to blow up the cable box. Here's what its proposal will (and won’t) do
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: