Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do when OS X asks for an old Apple ID  (Read 375 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 04, 2016, 04:05:13 pm »

What to do when OS X asks for an old Apple ID

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>Reader Craig Gorsuch writes in with a commonly asked question about OS X and Apple IDs. He notes that in his family, they pass older computers down to other members as they acquire new computers. But even removing all his identifying information, the old computer still asks for his Apple ID for updates.</p>

<p>This issue affects my wife’s/son’s computer, my daughter’s new computer and my mother’s new computer. Is there any way to force these three computers to accept the Apple IDs of the primary operator of the computer and not my Apple ID? Is the only solution a complete reset of the hard drive and a manual copying of profile data?</p>

<p>When Apple switched to handling routine software updates for OS X and its own applications via the App Store a few years back, it also effectively encoded the “purchaser” of OS X and the apps into the installations. Even though OS X has no charge associated, and some apps either come free and installed with a new Mac or can be installed at no cost, and updates are free, they’re still connected with the Apple ID in place at the time of the initial download.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3058215/macs/what-to-do-when-os-x-asks-for-an-old-apple-id.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: What to do when OS X asks for an old Apple ID
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: