Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't delete a Mac app because it's still open? Here's the fix!  (Read 367 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 25, 2016, 04:05:22 pm »

Can't delete a Mac app because it's still open? Here's the fix!

How do you delete an app when your Mac says it's open but it's really, really not? Like this!

These days most apps on your Mac are easy to understand. You can even use Launchpad to manage — and delete — them like iPad apps. Sometimes, though, they still don't work the way iOS apps do. For example, if you want to delete an app, but it doesn't have an X when you trigger jiggle mode, or when you try to delete it old-school style in Finder, you get a message that reads, "The item "[app name]" can't be moved to the trash because it's open."

It happens because the app is still processing in the background and, for one reason or another, that background process has failed to properly shut down. Cue all the cursing! Or, better yet, read on and I'll show you how to shut it down and get it gone for good!

Note: I used the Rocket app as an example in my pictures, but it is only because I was removing an earlier version. I love Rocket and would never delete (It emojifies your Mac!).

How...

Source: Can't delete a Mac app because it's still open? Here's the fix!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: