Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The hidden history of educational gaming on the Mac  (Read 356 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: August 26, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »

The hidden history of educational gaming on the Mac

Early Macs may not have had flashy graphics cards, but they had some of the best educational games around, thanks to one Minnesota computing group.

My earliest memories of technology came from my first year of grade school: It was 1992, and our teacher had installed some variant of an Apple II in the classroom. The students were only able to use it a few times, but each time I got to put a disk in the machine, I was able to escape to another world.

A world in which I was traveling west in a wagon, attempting to avoid dying of dysentery.

Oregon Trail. Number Munchers. DinoPark Tycoon. Odell Down Under. MayaQuest. While Oregon Trail is no doubt the most well-known title of the bunch, there's a lot more where it came from, thanks to one very special group: The Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium.

History of MECC

The Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium was founded in 1973 to coordinate and provide computer support and services to school across the state.

IBM, Hone...

Source: The hidden history of educational gaming on the Mac
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: