Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmission BitTorrent app once again infected with malware  (Read 395 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 01, 2016, 04:05:19 pm »

Transmission BitTorrent app once again infected with malware

Infect me once, shame on you. Infect me twice...

Transmission, the popular Mac BitTorrent client that everyone only ever uses to download totally legit open source files, has once again been hijacked to serve malware. Perplexingly, it sounds like it was hijacked in the same way as last time.

ESET research reports:

Last month ESET researchers wrote an article about a new OS X malware called OSX/Keydnap, built to steal the content of OS X's keychain and maintain a permanent backdoor. At that time of the analysis, it was unclear how victims were exposed to OSX/Keydnap. To quote the original article: "It could be through attachments in spam messages, downloads from untrusted websites or something else."

During the last hours, OSX/Keydnap was distributed on a trusted website, which turned out to be "something else". It spread via a recompiled version of the otherwise legitimate open source BitTorrent client application Transmission and distributed on their official website.

I...

Source: Transmission BitTorrent app once again infected with malware
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: