Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should you keep using an old Time Capsule to rotate for off-site storage?  (Read 365 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: December 31, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »

Should you keep using an old Time Capsule to rotate for off-site storage?

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
Dawn Gwin asked:</p>

<p>
I replaced my seven-year-old Time Capsule with a new one last week. Can I erase the old one and connect it by ethernet occasionally to serve as a second backup kept off premises? Or would I be better off with just a flash drive for important files?</p>

<p>
The networked Time Capsule base station/backup combo doesn’t have a great track record for long-term survival. I’m surprised it’s lasted seven years, and you might not want to push your luck with it. At a minimum, you’d want to wipe its network settings so that it doesn’t confuse your existing devices into which base station is which. Then you can just plug it in as needed.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3152610/networking/should-you-keep-using-an-old-time-capsule-to-rotate-for-off-site-storage.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Should you keep using an old Time Capsule to rotate for off-site storage?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: