Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to add your existing lights and fans to your HomeKit-enabled home  (Read 409 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 13, 2017, 04:05:23 pm »

How to add your existing lights and fans to your HomeKit-enabled home

Why not give your current home hardware a smart home education? Add your existing hardware to HomeKit!

One of the biggest barriers to entry for the connected home life is cost: It's not cheap to replace your current crop of home hardware (lights, fans, locks, garage door openers, coffee makers, plugs, etc.) and replace them with comparatively expensive HomeKit-enabled hardware.

When I first started getting into connected home products, I bought a bunch of Philips Hue bulbs and outfitted my various lamps and overhead lights. Unfortunately, that meant having to tell my partner and my guests that they couldn't use the wall switch to control the lights — they had to use the Philips Hue remote I'd purchased or pull out their phone. That's an acceptable compromise for lamps, but I couldn't convince anyone that it was cooler to have to pull out a phone every time than just flip a switch on the wall (they were right).

It wasn't until I moved into a house with fan-light combo fixt...

Source: How to add your existing lights and fans to your HomeKit-enabled home
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: