Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to replace the missing optical-digital audio output on newer Macs  (Read 320 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 22, 2017, 04:05:12 pm »

How to replace the missing optical-digital audio output on newer Macs

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>Jeff K. has a bone to pick with Apple:</p>

<p>I have a great set of speakers that I connected to my old iMac with a optical audio/mini-plug cable through the headphone jack. They had terrific sound. Imagine my surprise then when I connected the cable to the headphone jack on my new iMac and it wasn’t recognized. I called Apple, and it turns out someone decided to change that part of the audio electronics. No more digital optical. My speakers already have a DAC [
digital-to-analog converter] built in, so it’s not a matter of adding one.</p>
<p>Starting in 2006, Apple incorporated support for S/PDIF, an optical digital connection standard that uses a fiber-optic cable with a Toslink connector or through Mini Toslink, which is compatible with standard 3.5mm audio jacks. This allowed higher-quality digital audio output, and this standard allows for 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound encoding, depending on the source device.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3205890/software-music/how-to-replace-the-missing-optical-digital-audio-output-on-newer-macs.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: How to replace the missing optical-digital audio output on newer Macs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: