Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to fix the annoying ! [?] text bug on iPhone and iPad  (Read 350 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 11, 2017, 04:05:19 pm »

How to fix the annoying ! [?] text bug on iPhone and iPad

Apple has pushed out iOS 11.1.1, a minor point release update that fixes the major annoyance of the letter i autocorrecting to  I️.

iOS 11.1.1 is now available through Settings > General > Software Update. It fixes the weird bug going around where the letter i was being autocorrected as I️ (an exclamation mark with a box, originally containing the letter A, now the ?).

The bug seemingly spread through Apple's new Machine Learning facility in the QuickType keyboard. The feature is supposed to identify, learn, and share new trends in online language and usage. So, for example, if everyone starts typing Animoji, the system learns it's a new, popular word and corrects for it, rather than trying to correct away from it.

In this case, somehow, the letter i got paired with a non-display character meant for emoji rendering and ridiculousness ensued.

Apple is no doubt working to prevent this from happening again. Meanwhile, if you're suffering from the problem on your ...

Source: How to fix the annoying ! [?] text bug on iPhone and iPad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: