Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5K iMac vs. iMac Pro: The pro's silent fans made a fan out of me  (Read 436 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 11, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »

5K iMac vs. iMac Pro: The pro's silent fans made a fan out of me

After a misadventure with Apple's top-of-the-line 5K iMac, the iMac Pro is proving to be the perfect studio machine for podcasters.

Last month, we left our hero weighing his options, considering replacing his i5 Late 2015 iMac with 5K Retina display with an iMac Pro. After I wrote that column, Apple released final pricing details on the iMac Pro, so I sat down with my budget, a spreadsheet, and Apple.com loaded in my browser.

It didn't take long to realize that I had made a mistake.

My initial plan was to pick up a 10-core model with 64GB of RAM, coupled with a 1TB SSD and the entry-level GPU. It seemed like the most well-rounded machine out of the near-countless possibilities that Apple's online configuration tools allow, but at $6,599, it wasn't something I could afford. I knew the $4,999 entry model was the only iMac Pro I could both justify and afford.

The standard iMac Pro is still a lot faster than my 2015 could ever be, but then I started looking at a fully loaded 2017...

Source: 5K iMac vs. iMac Pro: The pro's silent fans made a fan out of me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: