Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frankenstein's iPhone: Control, don't be controlled  (Read 469 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 19, 2018, 04:05:19 pm »

Frankenstein's  iPhone: Control, don't be controlled

Who's really to blame for 'smartphone addiction', and who's responsible for curbing it?

Mary Shelly's novel Frankenstein (Frankenstein is the doctor's name not the monster's) and the play "Rossum's Universal Robots" (R.U.R is the place where the word "robot" was coined) share a similar metaphor. What happens to society when a creator's creation gets away from them, when the creation can no longer be controlled by the creator?

Lately there's been a lot of talk about "smartphone addiction" (I know several people who suffer from alcoholism or drug abuse who take a little offense at lumping a disease with people who can't put down their phone or tablet). One of the hallmarks of Google's I/O conference are a set of feature in Android P designed to allow users to quantify their digital lives, set limits on application usage and create more granular parental controls. There have been cries for Apple to do the same with iOS. (iOS 12 anyone?)

Is this really necessary? I understand how the ...

Source: Frankenstein's  iPhone: Control, don't be controlled
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: