Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The cheapskate way I installed and powered a second GPU on my old Mac Pro  (Read 328 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 18, 2018, 04:05:22 pm »

The cheapskate way I installed and powered a second GPU on my old Mac Pro

I wanted the power, but not the expense. Here's how I added a second PSU and GPU to my Mac Pro.

I'm happy to admit that I'm a cheapskate. Well maybe I'm more frugal but I definitely have cheapskate tendencies. Do I pay for television? Hell no, I have an antenna that gets 24 channels. Do I buy new cars? Never. Last year I bought a like new 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser based on the old Toyota FJ 40 Land Cruiser that runs like champ and looks damn cool, too. My wife wanted a pool heater. I made a solar pool heater with black tubing and spare wood.

For my computing I inherited a 2009 Mac Pro where I upgraded the CPU, GPU, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth module, and memory to run nearly as well as a modern iMac Pro. All at a fraction of the cost of an iMac Pro of course. I have a second hand gen 2 Apple Watch that does most of what a new Apple Watch does and I bought a used HTC Vive headset out of an open box sale for 50% off the full price.

None of this means I never buy new. If I can't have an adequate s...

Source: The cheapskate way I installed and powered a second GPU on my old Mac Pro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: