Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mac no longer needs compatibility to thrive  (Read 260 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 22, 2019, 04:05:13 pm »

The Mac no longer needs compatibility to thrive

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>Compatibility and interoperability are concepts Apple has ignored or embraced, depending on its situation. To me, it seems that the Mac is about to enter a new era of incompatibility… and I’m okay with it.</p><p>When I started using a Mac in 1989, I rapidly discovered that it was essentially incompatible with every other computer in existence. Certainly, it didn’t work with my old Apple IIe, but all the PCs running DOS and Windows on my college campus couldn’t talk to it, either. The Mac of the 90s was populated with tech that was uncommon or unavailable elsewhere—ADB keyboards and mice, Mac serial printers, SCSI drives, AAUI and LocalTalk networking, Mac file sharing, Motorola 680x0 processors, and the rest. It was an enormous liability: If you were in certain markets, in certain industries, needed to attach to certain networks or peripherals, you just couldn't use a Mac.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3403344/the-mac-no-longer-needs-compatibility-to-thrive.html#jump">To read this article in full, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: The Mac no longer needs compatibility to thrive
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: