Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Checkm8, the iPhone 4s to iPhone X bootrom exploit, explained  (Read 327 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 30, 2019, 04:05:21 pm »

Checkm8, the iPhone 4s to iPhone X bootrom exploit, explained

Checkm8 is a bootrom-level security exploit that can be used against every iPhone from the 4S to the X. It was announced late last week by axi0mX — axi0mX… axi0m10… dammit, Apple! — and ever since we've seen everything from fear, uncertainty, and doubt, to supremely good reporting on what it is, what it isn't, and most importantly, what it means for all of us.

So, let's try to sort it all out.

Now, before we dive in, I'm not an infosec expert nor do I play one on the internet. Checkm8 is absolutely serious but very specific and in some ways very limited. It's certainly helpful for jailbreakers and researchers that it exists, probably neutral good for bad actors, and bad for Apple and a black eye for iOS security that'll no doubt drive them even harder to lock things down even better, again.

But, for the average user, the threat level today probably isn't any different than it was a week ago. I'm going to sum up why as best and as accurately as I can, bu...

Source: Checkm8, the iPhone 4s to iPhone X bootrom exploit, explained
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: