Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I keep my partner’s Apple purchases and account after they die?  (Read 314 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 06, 2020, 04:05:18 pm »

Can I keep my partner’s Apple purchases and account after they die?

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>With so many people facing the sudden and untimely passing of loved ones, particularly parents and significant others and spouses, it may add insult to injury that their digital lives are severed as well as their physical ones.</p><p>Since this is a Mac 911 column, I won’t dig into the details across services outside of what Apple provides. When we purchase apps, media, and other digital items and digital subscriptions from Apple, we are paying for a license that has a variety of terms attached. It’s a purchase in the loosest terms, not a permanent transfer of ownership as when you buy a physical good, like a book or puzzle.</p><p>Apple has long blurred the distinction on this by typically offering expansive licensing, especially compared to other tech companies. Way back in 2003, when I interviewed Apple’s worldwide vice president of marketing Phil Schiller about the opening of the iTunes Store, I asked him almost immediately that if it was a “store” did that mean rights were transferrable. He said, “You bought it. You own it. You don’t have to pay us again for the right to license it.” But the rights can’t be sold or transferred to someone else. This remains true, encoded in legalese, to this day.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3546279/can-i-keep-my-partner-s-apple-purchases-and-account-after-they-die.html#jump">To read this article in full, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Can I keep my partner’s Apple purchases and account after they die?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: