Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help building computer ~$900. New to building  (Read 3316 times)
rex_rhade

« on: January 20, 2011, 06:40:17 am »

Basics: I am a computer science major in DE. I only have a little experience with handling computer hardware and I would like to build a computer aiming at serving as a hackintosh desktop computer. I have around $900 to work with.

I got the idea from this link here http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mac-and-install-os-x-in-eight-easy-steps.

In the link he suggests these hardware parts:
-Antec Sonata III Case with 500W Power Supply
-ASUS P7P55D-E Pro ATX Intel Motherboard
-EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 01G-P3-N959-TR Video Card
-Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory x 2 (for a total of 8GB);
-OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support

I want to use a HDD rather than an SSD, unless there is a great deal or if solid state drives are significantly cheaper now.

I would like to build a computer with the capabilities to run things such as creating flash animations, picture editing, midi editing, and programming environments for designing software, gaming software in particular.

I also want the capability to run games such as Portal 2 and World of Warcraft at great speeds and rendering.

Any help in recommended parts or a certain brand/types that would be helpful for what I want as capabilities. Also any opinions on if I should stick with what was suggested in the link or if I can use different/better parts or for better deals would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:30:31 pm by rex_rhade » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: