Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macworld 2011: Wigglehop, a new kind of movie app  (Read 470 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 31, 2011, 03:00:12 pm »

Macworld 2011: Wigglehop, a new kind of movie app

We've all seen the ton of movie apps and probably have a bunch of them already on our iOS devices, but today I saw something different. I spoke with Tyler Young, the designer of a free universal app called Wigglehop from Plastic Trophy. Wigglehop is a movie planning app that differs from the usual movie look-up app.

Wigglehop, using auto-location or by inputting a starting place or zip code, finds the closest 25 theaters. It not only tells you what's playing, it tells you how many new movies have opened today along with the times of the movies for the next few days. You can choose as many as you like and have them saved to an attractive list that can be as long or short as you like.
Each movie you choose shows a paragraph on what the movie is about, the ratings and the playing time. Next, it tells you how much time you have until each show starts. A neat bit is that your listing page updates itself. According to Jason: "You can make you plans in the morning and check in them in the evening when you're out and about and might actually want to see a movie."

So, if there's a particular movie you want to see, you'll be able to figure out which theater has the most convenient time. If you have a favorite theater, you'll know when you need to get there for the show. Each selected movie has a countdown for all the shows of the day. If you're going with some friends, you can zap that information into Twitter, Facebook, SMS or email. Each email contains a link to your movie and time list so that your friends get the same page as you see in the app. Of course the email with timing doesn't update. The app is ad-supported, but the ads didn't seem to be intrusive since they are movie related.

Wigglehop only came out a few days ago, and it already looks great -- but movie trailers are planned, along with more social networking features. I can see this becoming my go-to app for movies. Knowing what's playing is one thing, but planning your options is another.

Check it out. It's free, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I know that I was in the few minutes I had to play with Wigglehop.Macworld 2011: Wigglehop, a new kind of movie app originally appeared on TUAW on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:00:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/30/macworld-2011-wigglehop-a-new-kind-of-movie-app/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: