Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cigars all around: AAPL catches MSFT on S&P 500  (Read 978 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 01, 2010, 12:32:14 am »

Cigars all around: AAPL catches MSFT on S&P 500

Filed under: Apple Corporate[This is officially the most times I have had to change a headline. -MR.]

Remember "I would shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders" and "the future of Apple looks like Silicon Graphics"? How about "doomed to fail?" Remember "The Mac market is ending?" Good times, good times.

You've come a long way, baby. VentureBeat notes that as of today's market close, Apple's total market valuation position on the S&P 500 index passed Microsoft's. Apple is now #2 on the US list after ExxonMobil.

Update: Looking at the valuations, as of the close Apple is still behind by quite a bit. Not sure where VB's numbers are coming from, but we'll find out.

Update 2: Looks like MarketWatch ran incorrect confusing numbers at the close today, which is where the erroneous info came from. Apologies to all.

Update 3: Trust the WSJ to clarify matters. While Microsoft still has a larger full market value than Apple, the Standard & Poor's index is "float adjusted market capitalization weighted" (gesundheit!), meaning that it is tracking the smaller number of shares actually available for public purchase, as opposed to the larger number tied up in instruments such as employee options. Based on that measurement, Apple has in fact pulled ahead of Microsoft, according to S&P's Howard Silverblatt: "AAPL has an index market value of $241,534 million and MSFT has a market  value of $239,515 million - AAPL is #2." [Thanks Tim!]

Disclaimer: I have a small, long-term position in AAPL.

[via Techmeme]TUAWCigars all around: AAPL catches MSFT on S&P 500 originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:40:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/22/cigars-all-around-aapl-passes-msft-in-market-cap/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: