Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peace in the home: Sharing an iPad with your spouse  (Read 1087 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 01, 2010, 12:32:14 am »

Peace in the home: Sharing an iPad with your spouse

Filed under: iPad
I'm sure many of you find yourselves in the sometimes-uncomfortable position of alpha geek in your households. It's a lonely perch, with responsibility for every gadget and gizmo under the familial roof; more frustrating, your spouse and children don't share your perfectly rational enthusiasm for all things iGlorious, and can't understand your willingness to spend a Saturday morning on line with strangers at the mall. You might even be faced with some completely unfair public criticisms of your parenting skills or attention span. It's a tough spot. Believe me, I know how it is.
Imagine my glee, therefore, when my wife (no Luddite, but no raving technophile either) expressed her eagerness for an iPad. She's entering her final year of graduate studies, and with so much classwork reading available as PDF files, the iPad is a natural choice for her use; besides, she has grown deeply dissatisfied with the Kindle's lack of backlight and challenging PDF handling.
With bilateral consensus on the purchase -- and if you think that's an easy sell on a $500-plus expenditure, think again -- we opted to get a 32GB unit and forgo the 3G version that I had told myself I was waiting for. It's delightful, it's wonderful... and it's raised an entirely new set of issues.
Taking the iPad from its core single-user metaphor and sharing it between two people, even two people who love each other and collaboratively tackle the much larger challenges of raising children together, is a tall order. I've been building a list of adjustments and adaptations, in the hope that we can help other couples find their way.
Photo by http://www.flickr.com/photos/allyrose18/ / CC BY-ND 2.0
TUAWPeace in the home: Sharing an iPad with your spouse originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:00:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/20/peace-in-the-home-sharing-an-ipad-with-your-spouse/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: