Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 Adds 'Find My Mac'  (Read 477 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 08, 2011, 03:00:19 pm »

OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 Adds 'Find My Mac'

Alongside yesterday's announcements related to OS X Lion, Apple pushed out a fourth developer preview version of the next-generation operation system set to make its public launch next month.  Among the new features in this build of Lion is "Find My Mac", a feature similar to the one already in use for iOS devices.

Evidence for Find My Mac functionality in Lion had been building, but the actual service is now finally showing its face.  One user has provided screenshots of the system in action, showing first of all how Find My Mac can be enabled in System Preferences, revealing that feature allows users to lock the screen of a lost machine while allowing guest access only to Safari in order to help facilitate recovery of the machine.

The user also reveals how his MacBook Air could be located using the Find My iPhone app on his iPhone, offering the option to simply to play a sound or send a message to whoever may have found the machine or remotely lock or even wipe the machine.

And finally, the user shows what happens to a machine once remote lock has been initiated, displaying a gray screen with boxes to input the security code to unlock the machine.

OS X Lion is set to debut sometime next month as a Mac App Store exclusive priced at $29.99.  The full suite of iCloud features is not set to debut until this fall alongside iOS 5, but some features such as purchased music/app/book histories are already rolling out and Find My Mac will presumably follow suit next month.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/os-x-lion-developer-preview-4-adds-find-my-mac/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: