Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Clues About Apple's 'Find My Friends' Mobile Service  (Read 748 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 04, 2011, 11:00:23 pm »

More Clues About Apple's 'Find My Friends' Mobile Service

As reported by both 9to5Mac and AppleInsider, some additional evidence of Apple's work on a "Find My Friends" service has been discovered in relation to Apple's MobileMe website.  

"Find My Friends" was originally discovered as a reference back in iOS 4.3.   At the time we suspected that it represented a location-based friend-finding service like Loopt and Google Latitude.  The strings (embedded above) seem to confirm those suspicions: It includes references to standard social networking functions, like a list of people a user is "following," as well as "pending" and "accepted" follower requests. The code also mentions user statuses, updates, blocking of users and removing followers.These types of services allow you to find your friends who near you at any given time by leveraging your mobile phone's GPS signal.  The constant updates can broadcast your location to your friends to know who is nearby.

Apple's implementation seems very similar, and allows you to "follow" or be followed by others.   This would presumably allow you to locate those you follow in real time.

Apple has yet to announce any plans to launch such a service, and given the fact that it first appeared back in iOS 4.3 could mean that Apple ultimately decided to scrap the project.   Apple's patent applications have previously revealed that Apple is actively researching these type of location based mobile services.  

Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Apple Acquires 16 Misspelled Variations of iTunes.com Domain Name
• Apple Awards Eddy Cue 100,000 Shares of Stock as Promotion Bonus
• San Francisco Police with No Record of Lost iPhone 5 Investigation
• Doodle Jump Makes the Leap to iPad
• Always Get the Best Seat on the Plane with Jets

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/03/more-clues-about-apples-find-my-friends-mobile-service/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: