Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington Post iPhone app not winning very many friends  (Read 954 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 18, 2010, 03:00:20 am »

Washington Post iPhone app not winning very many friends

Filed under: iPhoneSomehow in my recent comments on News apps I missed the Washington Post effort, which has been recently updated. It's not a home run, combining a subscription cost and intrusive ads.

The app, called Wash Post costs US$1.99 a year. Wash Post contains articles and photos, and it allows you to share content via Twitter or e-mail. The app has built in search, which helps to make up for some of the shortcomings I'll detail later.

The Washington Post is a bit schizophrenic about their content. You can pay for this app, or you can go to their iPhone-friendly website for free. That's right -- you get the same content and pictures for free at the website that you pay for on the iPhone. Like many media companies, the Washington Post is eagerly awaiting the time when they can charge for all online content. What I don't understand is why they're charging for the content in the iPhone app and giving it away for free at the website? Why not be just a bit consistent?
TUAWWashington Post iPhone app not winning very many friends originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Mon, 17 May 2010 20:30:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/17/washington-post-iphone-app-not-winning-very-many-friends/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: