Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple gets iPad dictation instructions wrong (Updated)  (Read 401 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: April 12, 2012, 03:00:18 am »

Apple gets iPad dictation instructions wrong (Updated)

As a writer, I know how hard it can be to write without spelling, grammar or punctuation errors. That's why I find my editors (and sometimes even readers) extremely helpful when they point out a mistake. A few years ago I showed that Apple had posted wrong information about what iBooks could do. Two days later, Apple was nice enough to change their mistake.

Since I also write books on Apple's products, I usually go over their website with a fine-tooth comb in my fact checking maneuvers. Last night I found a mistake on their iPad features page that doesn't tell users how to use the new iPad's dictation feature correctly. The copy reads:

Write an email. Send a text. Search the web. Or create a note. And do it all with only your voice. Instead of typing, tap the microphone icon on the keyboard. Then say what you want to say while your iPad listens. Tap Done and, just like that, your spoken words become written words.

The only thing is there is no "Done" button to tap on the new iPad's keyboard after you've activated the dictation feature. The Done button is what you tap when dictating into an iPhone 4S. On the new iPad you simply tap the microphone icon again to stop dictation and then "your spoken words become written words."

Is this a big deal? No. Am I trying to embarrass Apple? Quite the contrary. It's easier to write a public post to get their attention than find the email of one of their dozens of copy writers.

Here's something a bit more embarrassing, however: Last night around two in the morning London time one of their web developers flipped the wrong switch and "announced" on Apple's Australian home page that "Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget." Oops. That was a tease from the day before Apple announced The Beatles on iTunes way back in 2010.

Update: Apple has updated their iPad features page to fix the incorrect copy (see image below). It now reads:

Write an email. Send a text. Search the web. Or create a note. And do it all with only your voice. Instead of typing, tap the microphone icon on the keyboard. Then say what you want to say while your iPad listens. Tap the microphone icon again and, just like that, your spoken words become written words.

Apple gets iPad dictation instructions wrong (Updated) originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:46:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/11/apple-gets-ipad-info-wrong-on-its-own-page/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: