Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Frame Developer Emails Steve Jobs Over App Store Dispute  (Read 755 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 02, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »

My Frame Developer Emails Steve Jobs Over App Store Dispute

The Australian developer known as Shifty Jelly recently had his iPad application called My Frame removed from sale from the iTunes App Store after he received a call saying that all applications on the App Store that featured widgets were being removed.The application allowed users to view photos in a picture frame surrounded by different items that could be placed atop such as a calendar, clock, etc.The Register gave away the full details of this ongoing story. According to the article, the developer recently emailed Steve Jobs (as many before him have been doing) only to get a somewhat interesting response. Below is the messages in full detail: Email from Shifty Jelly:Hi Steve,     Just got a phone call from Apple letting us know that our iPad app ‘My Frame’ is being removed from the store. Apparently Apple is cracking down on ‘widgety’ type apps. Our app is a beautiful photo frame with a few nice things you can put over your photos. It’s not ugly, or even widgety.     What gives? I’ve always defended you guys in the past, but it seems like you’ve crossed an invisible line here, even the guy on the phone was saying how much he likes our application but that there’s nothing he can do?Response from Steve Jobs: We are not allowing apps that create their own desktops. Sorry.     Sent from my iPadThe Register argues that other apps already on the App Store create their own "widgetized" environments, such as Microsoft's Bing app or MLB's At Bat app.We can't help but to stop and wonder, however, if Apple is planning on releasing a Dashboard-like widget system for the iPhone? It has been speculated before, and could be the reason for the quick lash out against apps containing widget-styled interfaces.You can read the full details on The Register's website.

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/my_frame_developer_emails_steve_jobs_over_app_store_dispute

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: