Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS 6's Smaller Changes: Custom Email Alerts, 'Find My Friends' Geofencing and More  (Read 521 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 16, 2012, 03:00:28 am »

iOS 6's Smaller Changes: Custom Email Alerts, 'Find My Friends' Geofencing and More

As is typical when previewing a new operating system, on Monday Apple's Scott Forstall showed off 10 main features of iOS 6 including improvements to Siri, Facebook Integration, a new Maps app, and a Do Not Disturb mode.

However, there is a lot more to the next iPhone operating system than that. A slide shown at the end of Monday's keynote displayed a number of new features that didn't warrant full keynote coverage but are still worth mention to iOS users:

- Users can now set custom email alerts for any of their VIP contacts.

- Turning Bluetooth on and off is much quicker than it was in iOS 5. Bluetooth controls are now located in first page of System Preferences, next to the Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode controls.

- The iPad gains a native Clock app with similar function to the iPhone version.

- Users no longer need to enter their password to update apps -- only when purchasing an app for the first time. Additionally, users aren't kicked to the home screen when buying or updating an app in the App Store.

- Newly downloaded apps gain a temporary 'New' banner on the icon to make them easier to pick them out.

- Geofencing alerts have been added to Find My Friends. One possible use, suggested by Macworld: "If you’re one of the many workers who carpools, you can set up a geofence on the driver to let you know when they leave their house."

- In iOS 5, the color of the menu bar would change depending on what was happening in the background -- green for a phone call or blue for Personal Hotspot. In iOS 6 those colors still exist, but the menu bar changes color to better complement the app. MaxThemes.com has more on how Apple color-matches the menu bar.

- One of the most unnecessary additions to iOS 6 is also one of the most telling. Apple has made the metallic volume slider in the iPod app and elsewhere change its reflection as the iPhone is tilted -- as if it were actually reflecting light. While some may say it's a waste of engineering resources, this shows Apple's incredible attention to detail.

Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Though Discontinued, Apple Offering a Plethora of Discounted 17" MacBook Pros
• Developers Begin to Update Apps With Retina Support
• New Apple Store Coming to Chicago's South Loop?
• Apple Releases Update for Just-Released MacBook Air (Mid-2012)
• Next Version of Growl To Add Notification Center Support

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/ios-6s-smaller-changes-custom-email-alerts-find-my-friends-geofencing-and-more/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: