Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OnLive Denies Rumors That the Company is Shutting Down [Updated]  (Read 380 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: August 17, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »

OnLive Denies Rumors That the Company is Shutting Down [Updated]

According to Polygon and veteran video game developer Brian Fargo, video game streaming company OnLive has fired its entire staff and the company will cease to exist as of later today:

According to e-mails forwarded to Polygon from supposedly former OnLive employees, the company will no longer exist as of today.

"I wanted to send a note that by the end of the day today, OnLive as an entity will no longer exist," reads an email forwarded to Polygon. "Unfortunately, my job and everyone else's was included. A new company will be formed and the management of the company will be in contact with you about the current initiatives in place, including the titles that will remain on the service."However, according to Brian Jaquet, OnLive's Director of Corporate Communications, the story is untrue. The company's Twitter feed is still posting normally and, in response to an email from MacRumors, Jaquet wrote:

We don't respond to rumors, but of course not.

[…]

I have no comment on the news other than to say the OnLive service is not shutting down.

I'm sorry I cannot be more specific.We've followed OnLive for a while, particularly after the company demonstrated an iOS version of its streaming video game software last December. That software was supposed to deliver "console-class gaming to tablets and phones", but is still awaiting approval from Apple to join the App Store.

Earlier this year, the company released a iOS app called OnLive Desktop that used its video game streaming technology to put a full-fledged Windows client on the iPad, including a Flash and PDF-enabled web browser.

Update: Kotaku reports that the company will be filing for bankruptcy and a new company will be created from the remains of OnLive and some employees will be brought over to that organization. Others have apparently been laid off.

Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Apple Seeds New Beta of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 to Developers
• Steve Jobs' Stolen iPad Ended Up in Hands of Local Clown
• Instagram Makes a Big Push Into Location With Version 3.0
• iTunes Store Glitch Limits 'Podcast' Search Results to Apple's Own App
• Apple Releases OS X Lion 10.7.5 Build 11G36 to Developers

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/17/onlive-denies-rumors-that-the-company-is-shutting-down/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: