Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple says Maps "will get better"  (Read 366 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 21, 2012, 03:00:30 am »

Apple says Maps "will get better"

It's been just over 24 hours since iOS 6 hit and pretty much the whole internet (myself included) is up in arms about the step backwards Apple made to mapping. I'm talking about the removal of Google Maps from iOS and the replacement with Apple's own mapping solution. If you want to see some of the ways Apple's Maps behave that are causing a lot of disappointment, check out this Tumblr blog.

In light of the maps outrage, Apple has just issued a statement to AllThingsD saying that Maps will get better. The statement in full:

"Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service. We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."

There you have it folks.

Some people have called Apple's Maps the company's "Vista" moment. Though I am quite annoyed by the downgrade, I liken Apple's Maps more to iMovie '08. That's when Apple totally revamped iMovie and turned it into the start of something better, but it didn't start surpassing the old iMovie until the next iteration of the new app. Until then, don't go looking for any furniture museums. You may drown.Apple says Maps "will get better" originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:10:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/20/apple-says-maps-will-get-better/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: