Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon iPhone 5 Confirmed to Be Unlocked on GSM 3G Networks  (Read 440 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 22, 2012, 03:00:31 am »

Verizon iPhone 5 Confirmed to Be Unlocked on GSM 3G Networks

iDownloadBlog has confirmed that the Verizon iPhone 5 being sold on contract does arrive unlocked for use on GSM networks, allowing users with a nano-SIM or a trimmed micro-SIM from a GSM carrier such as AT&T to use the device on their networks.I can confirm that the Verizon iPhone 5 is indeed GSM unlocked. Even though I bought an iPhone 5 from Verizon under contract, I was able to cut down my AT&T Micro SIM, and use it in my Verizon iPhone 5 to pick up an AT&T signal. By doing so, I was able to hop onto AT&T’s HPSA+ network, or “4G” as they so ridiculously name it.

As the report notes, users attempting to use a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T in the United States will not have access to AT&T's LTE network, due to hardware differences that leave the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is essentially a single CDMA/GSM world-mode phone for 3G purposes) incompatible with LTE frequency bands 4 and 17 used by AT&T and Canadian carriers.

For other international GSM carriers, Verizon iPhone 5 owners should simply be able to obtain a nano-SIM card from the international carrier and use it in their phone.

Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• How the iPhone 4 Displays Map Directions in iOS 6
• Apple's iTunes and Mac App Store Traffic Increases Ninefold for iOS 6 Launch Day
• Verizon and AT&T Expand LTE Coverage in Many Regions Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch
• Fix for App Store and Passbook "Can't Connect to iTunes Store" Error
• Apple Updates iOS iLife Apps: iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-confirmed-to-be-unlocked-on-gsm-3g-networks/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: