Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac 101: Diving into menus, part 1  (Read 342 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:55 am »

Mac 101: Diving into menus, part 1

When we met the Finder a few weeks ago, you learned that OS X offers a menu bar, as well as menus to populate it. In one of the many instances of “we’ll discuss this at a later time,” I mentioned that we would soon dive into the workings of OS X’s menus. That time has arrived. Let’s get started with the contents of Finder menus.
Apple menu
The contents of the Apple menu.
As I hope you recall, that apple symbol at the far left of the menu bar is not merely a decoration. It’s a true-blue menu heading. It contains commands for taking broad actions on your Mac. Specifically, it includes:

About This Mac: Select this command if you ever need to know the Mac operating system version you’re running (as I write this, the most recent is 10.8.2), the type of processor (the computer chip that's basically the brains of your computer), how much memory is installed, or the name of the Mac’s startup disk.

And why would you want to know such things? If you ever have a problem with either your Mac or an application running on it and you find yourself on the phone with a technical support representative, that person may very well ask you for this information. Now you know how to find it. To dismiss this window, just click on the red button in the top left corner.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2013353/mac-101-diving-into-menus-part-1.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: