Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers  (Read 328 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 21, 2012, 11:00:33 am »

AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers

AT&T appears to be quietly extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular capabilities to all their iPhone customers.  Earlier this month, AT&T announced that they would allow any customer "with an LTE device" on a "tiered data plan" to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature.  

This, however, excluded a number of customers, including those with grandfathered unlimited data plans as well as those with the iPhones 4S.  (Note, iOS 6, itself, can only supports FaceTime-over-Cellular on the 4S, 5 and iPad 3rd Gen or higher)

Tonight, Forum user kre62 noticed that both his iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with unlimited AT&T data plans now support FaceTime over cellular.In a recent thread we were discussing AT&T members getting facetime with LTE devices and tiered plans. However I noticed today that I have facetime over cellular and I have an unlimited plan on my 5.

I just turned off my other phone, a 4S and turned it back on, only to find the switch flipped to ON for facetime over cellular. Both phones work perfectly over cellular.

I also checked a few coworkers phones, all now have FT over cellular.This finding has been confirmed by a number of users in this discussion thread -- though some users have been unable to activate it so it may still be rolling out to some areas.  AT&T had said the original rollout for tiered plans could take 8-10 weeks.  Most of the positive responses have been those with the iPhone 5 and grandfathered unlimited data, but the original poster also had luck with an iPhone 4S.  

Some users have had to completely restart their phones for the service to go into effect.  There still remains a possibility that this is an oversight on AT&T's part.  We are reaching out to AT&T for clarification on their policy.

Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0
• Borderlands 2 Arrives on the Mac
• 'Kaleidoscope 2' Lets Users Quickly Spot Differences in Code, Text and Images
• OpenFeint Multiplayer iOS Platform Shutting Down, Could Break Older Games
• President Obama Meets With Tim Cook and Other CEOs to Discuss Fiscal Crisis

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/21/att-seems-to-be-extending-facetime-over-cellular-to-all-customers/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: