Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Migration Assistant + Thunderbolt/FireWire Adapter = huh!?  (Read 381 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:02 am »

Migration Assistant + Thunderbolt/FireWire Adapter = huh!?

Reader Jeff Adelson scratches his head over a FireWire issue. He writes:

I recently purchased a MacBook Air. After setting it up I decided to migrate my data from an older MacBook Pro. I purchased Apple’s Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter but it doesn’t seem to work with Migration Assistant. The two computers won’t connect. What’s going on?

The connector does work, but not in the way you expect from a wired connection. If you sling a standard FireWire cable between two Macs that have FireWire ports, Migration Assistant does what it should. You choose one Mac to copy the data from and the other to copy it to. The “host” Mac (the one that will import data from the other) issues a code to the “guest” Mac and the two of them make the exchange once you’ve selected the data you want.

As you’ve observed, it doesn’t work that way with this adapter. The two Macs recognize each other, but the transfer fails. Similarly, if you try to establish a FireWire network between the two using this adapter, failure also ensues. (Though Target Disk Mode works perfectly well.)
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2016066/migration-assistant-thunderbolt-firewire-adapter-huh.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: