Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I use as few Mac apps as possible  (Read 399 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 04, 2013, 07:01:04 pm »

Why I use as few Mac apps as possible

My 11-inch MacBook Air is the pride of my technological life, an indispensible tool: I write stories and columns on it daily; I edit photos and podcasts, track my schedule, and even do the vast majority of my TV watching on it. It’s lightweight enough that I can carry it everywhere, and powerful enough that I can use it to do everything I need.

But in certain respects, I admit, it is also little more than a very well-appointed Chromebook.

Now this isn’t Apple’s fault, nor is the fault of all those thousands of app developers who spend their careers coming up with clever ways to make your Mac even more useful than it is out of the box. This is simply a function of the choices I’ve made: My name is Joel, and I’m an app-o-phobe. Give me Web apps any day.

Which makes me an outlier among my Macworld colleagues, admittedly: We’re all on a relentless quest to perfect our machines and make them near-unconscious manifestations of our working wills—it’s just that buddies like Lex Friedman tend to do it by adding software to their computers instead of stripping it out. Lex is constantly suggesting something new for me to try: Adium, Propane, Arsenic, and I’m fairly sure that only one of those things is actually poison. He’s trying to make things easier for me.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2023268/why-i-use-as-few-mac-apps-as-possible.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: