Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What might an Apple landline phone look like?  (Read 356 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 29, 2013, 07:01:13 am »

What might an Apple landline phone look like?

About a year ago, I needed a new landline telephone. I work at home, and while I have an iPhone with an unlimited contract, I use a landline for certain things. For one, I don’t like giving my cellphone number out to just anyone; I don’t want to get called by businesses, administrations, or other people I don’t know while I’m in my car or out shopping. For another, when I’m on long business calls on my landline, I don’t have to worry about the battery, and I know I can still easily use my iPhone for other tasks while I'm on the phone.

I settled for an average cordless phone which has decent sound and very good battery life, but being used to an iPhone, I missed a relatively simple feature: having my contacts on the device. Yes, the phone manufacturer makes a Mac application that lets me transfer contacts via Bluetooth, but the interface is so clunky and the process such a pain that I never updated it after my first sync.

So I was thinking: What if Apple made a landline iPhone? It wouldn’t be as powerful or as fast as an iPhone, but it wouldn’t necessarily need to be. It also wouldn’t need a retina display. It wouldn’t be metal, and it might not even have glass. It wouldn’t have much RAM or a fast graphics chip, because those features wouldn’t be needed.

Instead, it would be more like a stripped-down iPhone, with the ability to run certain basic Apple apps—Contacts, Messages, Calendar, Reminders-and no third-party apps. It wouldn’t have to have a Lighting connector, because it would just slip into a charging cradle. Best of all, it would sync all your contacts, calendars, and reminders over Wi-Fi, using your iCloud account.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2026529/what-might-an-apple-landline-phone-look-like-.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: